Originally built in 1928 for the Women’s Physical Education program, the New Dance Theatre was transformed beginning in 1998 and opened in 1999 as the New Dance Theatre. The New Dance Theatre is a sophisticated user-friendly black box theater, specifically designed to support Dance and technologies support of Dance in the creation of multimedia dance and Performing Arts performances. The theater can hold up to 300 patrons depending on configuration and supports one of the most technically innovative lighting systems in the area. The New Dance Theatre is operated by UGA’s Department of Dance and presents the work of students, faculty, student lead Dance companies and is home to The Ballet Ensemble and the CORE Concert Dance Company. The New Dance Theatre is located behind the Marine Science building across the street from the South Parking Deck.